Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Walking Across the Stage

If you’ve read my recent post, you know that I’ve had a problem with humility lately. I’ve prayed for a way to clean that up. Writing the article “Beyond the Glitz and Glam” was one of the ways I decided to humble myself. We are directed by the Bible to share our struggles, our failures as well as our triumphs with one another so that we might help one another. I’ve continued to pray for humility. In one prayer I think I actually asked for a “stage” to correct the lack of humility problem in my heart. Well, today, God gave me that stage, literally.

I was asked to take part in a portion of a church celebration gathering where a group of us would write one of our biggest regrets or issues on a giant piece of poster board.
We were to carry it to center stage and show it to the audience, bearing our weakness for all to see. When I was asked, I immediately said yes… but as the week began to come to a close, I started to wonder if I really wanted to do it. That was my ego talking (imagine that). This morning, I was handed the poster and giant sharpie and it was time.

Today, I stood in front of approximately 400 people with a sign that displayed the most current and biggest failure in my Christian walk.
It was painful, but I wrote this word on my sign:

EGO

The joyous part is that I got to turn the poster over and reveal my resolve:

I AM SECOND
It is only though the grace of God that I am able to hold my head high and smile despite my grand failures. Thank you to those 400 people who allowed me to stand before them and admit who I am. Thank you God for loving me anyway, may You always be first!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for being a part of the poster board project today! It's hard to be that vulnerable, but it is so freeing at the same time.
    Love the blog :o)

    ReplyDelete