Pages

Monday, January 04, 2010

Water: Take Two

I posted a note on Facebook on December 19, 2008 called "Water". I don't think anyone read it... and to be honest I totally forgot I wrote it. For some reason, I stumbled upon it today and thought it was pretty interesting. I have improved greatly in the last year on my water intake but I'm still working on it. Drinking more water is one of my goals for 2010. I hope you enjoy!

WATER -December 19, 2008

This morning I turned on the tv and it was on the Christian channel. Kenneth Copeland was on. I don't normally watch preachers on TV (not that I have a problem with it - I just prefer church in the flesh). In any case, I left it on while I was searching for something for my son to watch and I couldn't help but to hear what Copeland and his wife were talking about. It made a lot of sense to me and I wanted to share it because I felt like a light bulb switched on over my head. These are his thoughts but my interpretation...

Drinking water is good for your body. Water is the best drink, it is healthy and our bodies need it to replenish, rejuvenate, heal, and survive this world. Basically, water is pure and simple sustenance and our bodies were made to NEED water. Unfortunately, the majority of people these days don't drink nearly enough water, some of us (like me) don't drink hardly any straight water. Why?? Well, it doesn't taste like anything. It's boring. There is no "WOW" or immediate gratification. I would rather have soda or coffee - because it tastes better. I know they aren't healthy for me, but I drink them anyway.

It's funny, water isn't addictive at all. It takes discipline and conscious thought to make sure we drink enough water everyday - but coffee, soda, alcohol - they become addictions and we end up just drinking it in excess without a fleeting thought.

In the Bible, the Spirit is also referred to as water.... hmmm.... draw the conclusion... our lives and our bodies need "water" in both ways, H2O and Spirit. In both cases, it takes intentional thought and discipline to have them present. Just as I will never become addicted to water, the Spirit will never push himself on me and beg me to let Him in. I must invite Him with purpose and intention everyday.

All the worldly things that taste good, feel good, that are easily accessed and give immediate gratification become addictions, obsessions and distraction from the "water" I really need to be healthy and live life the way God intended. So, drinking water is about obedience to God; taking care of our temple and staying connected to His Spirit. They both require thought and will not just happen on their own. This really made sense to me... I'm going to make an effort to drink more water... both kinds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment