Pages

Friday, January 08, 2010

Prayer for the Virus Code Writer Dude (or Dudette)

This morning I was surfing the internet in search for something I needed to purchase. It has happened to me a few times, accidentally stumbling upon a fake internet site whose sole purpose is to infect my computer with some sort of horrible virus that will make my computer stop working, ruin all of my files and completely piss me off. Luckily, my husband is a really gifted computer guy. He has set up an amazing protection system for us as well as has taught me how to react and not “fall” for the normal tactics. My favorite of which is the one where the fake AVG-ish window pops up and tells you that you are in fact infected. You think it is a real warning from your own system and so you quickly click on the button that says “Scan Computer” or “Heal Infection.” Unbeknownst to you, what clicking that button really does is set the virus loose on your computer. As if that isn’t bad enough, these ‘genius’ (I use this word loosely) virus writers make it so that no matter what icon or button you click on (even the close window button)… you are setting the virus free to ravage your computer. Yes, it’s lovely. Bravo to you oh mastermind-virus-computer-code-writer dude (or dudette)… you are so smart, cool and smooth. Oh how I wish I were as brilliant as you. You have really made something of yourself, haven’t you?

As I said, I was surfing this morning and it happened. This time I couldn’t even get to my task manager screen to “kill” the page. I had to push the power button and shut down ungracefully. It really irritated me too… I mean I got insanely mad. What’s really funny is I was searching for Serenity Prayer bookmarks… ha ha… that’s right, you know it… “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change (like stupid hacker viruses), the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” Ironic really, how my search for ‘serenity’ left me extremely pissed off! And, how intelligent of yet another super-smart computer virus mastermind to build an infectious site and mask it with the serenity prayer… again… Bravo. You have truly earned my passive-aggressive standing slow-clap for that!!

Instead of mumbling and cursing under my breath, I suppose it would probably be more productive for me to stop and say a prayer for the dude (or dudette) whose life is so empty and meaningless, whose path has somehow left them feeling so powerless in their own world that the only sense of accomplishment that can muster is to attempt to ruin other people’s hard work and personal memories. For I know without doubt that God, in fact, loves them just as much as He loves me. As hard as that is to accept... it is true. With that being said, please join me in this prayer…

Lord, I pray that You will find a way to work Your powerful magic in the lives of all the people who, for whatever reason, find it necessary to write harmful computer viruses and pass them on through the internet. I ask that You forgive them, for they are no different than me, a grand sinner who is unworthy or Your mercy and forgiveness. Teach them to use their brilliance in a more productive manner, for it is obvious You have created them with incredible talent. Give me patience and understanding of their plight and protect the unsuspecting from the viruses they plant. And for those of us who fall victim, show us through our loss what is truly important in this world. It isn’t JPGs, MP3s, DOCs, PPTs, or even PSDs (even the ones that took us 12 hours to create). It is You… and keeping You at the center of our lives… spreading Your goodness to others… even the virus-code-writing dude (or dudettes) of the world. I ask this in Your amazing name – Amen! P.S. Help me really mean this prayer.

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! With you 150%, baby. Love, Jennie

    ReplyDelete